In 2007 the Department of Disability, Housing and Community Services (DHCS) commissioned Urbis to conduct a review of the nature and extent of philanthropic giving in the ACT, by both individuals and businesses, with the aim of indentifying its adequacy, trends, impediments and opportunities for growth. The Report, Review of Philanthropy in the Australian Capital Territory outlined a number of issues and nominated strategies for change. Some key findings of the report were:
- There is great interest in philanthropy in the ACT but a lack of awareness of how philanthropy is organised
- The majority of community service organisations have received or are receiving philanthropic giving (mostly volunteering, donations, grants, pro-bono)
- Some community service organisations have strategies in place to increase philanthropic giving, but most lack sufficient resources to implement them
- There is a lack of awareness, skills and knowledge about philanthropy
- The majority of approaches, resources, tools and people available to assist community service organisations andincrease philanthropy are currently underutilised.
Click here to download the full report.